Monday, March 9, 2009

March 9, 2009

This past week end I was invited by some volunteers of Bethlehem Bible College to visit Akko, an ancient city just north of Haifa, on the Mediterranean. It is a remarkable city that goes back to the 19th century BC. It is mentioned in Egyptian texts and its port has been visited by ships from as far as Genoa, Pisa, Venice and Amalfi, and Marco Polo and St. Francis of Assisi were guests here. The city has been conquered by the Greeks, Romans, Crusaders, Turks, until in 1917 the British captured Palestine and with it Akko. The city has been destroyed and rebuitl many times and today you can visit the ramparts which jut into the sea, the underground Knight's Hall, the prison and the dining hall. Within the walls homes are still lived in and there is a busy market area. The weather was warm and sunny and being so close to the sea was a real treat. We spent many hours exploring this old city and I visited the Turkish Bath. A mutlimedia presentation in the old Turkish Bath house made it come alive and it became clear that this was the hub of sociall life . The baths were only for men where they were pampered, and business deals as well as social gossip were passed along here. There was also an area for women where they could bring their children, have weddings, and even give birth. The aniquity of this town is remarkable and it is considered to be one of the most beautiful historic sites in Israel. Upon returning home that evening (sitting in traffic, just like home!) I was invited to join the staff of Bethlehem Bible College, and the volunteers, to a traditional dinner in a restaurant called The Tent. It is a (sort of )copy of a Bedouin tent and you sit at long tables surrounded by traditional Bedouin wall hangings. It was very similar to what I had experienced in Egypt. The food was delicious and I was grateful to have been included. Alex and Bishira Awad, and their wives, are very gracious hosts.
After this wonderful day on the coast I spent two days in Jerusalem, due to the holiday in honor of Mohammed's birthday. It is warming up and you can see real signs of spring. I enjoyed just having the free time to walk around and savour the sounds and smells of the arabic section of the city. Thank you for your continued support and messages. Love, yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.