Saturday, March 6, 2010

After traveling through Palestine for 10 days with a small group, I have settled in at Hope School. It was a happy reunion with friends and I feel quite at home. The weather is not so terribly cold and the first signs of spring are apparent.

The school has made some changes and additions, and there are new students, but the daily routines have stayed the same.

We now have 5 boarders and I am getting to know them. One boy is a 7th grader and I am helping him with his English. He comes from Hebron, a city which has suffered greatly from the Israeli occupation and has almost died out. He is so appreciative of any attention and has stolen my heart. What suffering lies behind each of the boys' lives.

I had the unusual opportunity to visit with a refugee family and hear their story. Living in a refugee camp for 4 generations is a grave injustice. How can we ignore such tragic conditions? It is a question I grapple with on a daily basis. The beauty of the land belies the human tragedies of everyday life, and the human spirit is able to rise above the daily humiliations.

Salam,

yvonne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.