Jan 25th update from Yvonne to family. Posting on her behalf because of technical difficulties on her end:
The first days of the excitement of the "new ness" has worn off and I am being confronted by the reality of real life here. I have heard many heartbreaking stories from children as well as adults. People have no hope left. They are tired of war and checkpoints, and restrictions. Here in the Bethlehem region people are not allowed to leave this limited area without permission, so can't even go to Jerusalem, a half an hour away because most of the time they don't get the permission. So there is no hope to get jobs, to visit family, to just shop or do other things. After living here I say to you: you are so lucky to have a lovely home and a good job.
And then there is Hope School, where I am, where they struggle to keep body and soul and finances together. Recently the school bought fuel for the central heating on credit because they could not aford it. Fortunately the dealer delivered on credit. The school is intensely cold: it is built of stone and heaters are kept low, when on. I was given an electric heater for my room and feel extremely priviledged, but I wear 4 layers (silk underwear is a blessing) and have not taken my wintercoat off yet, it is my refuge. The prinicpal and his daughter have shown great concern for me and I am in good hands. The teachers are more than dedicated and I live here with two boys. They are very helpful and a few days ago we fixed the table tennis table and have been playing, much to their delight. The net is held up by two sticks and the paddles are less than staifactory, but life goes on and no one complains.
Candy, soap, toothpaste and the rest of the toiletries can all be bought at a little supermarket across the street from the school. The owner has been to the states and carries a CA driver's license. We have become good friends and yesterday he helped me choose a box of candy for a family where I am having dinner (lunch) today. Small things like that are such a blessing, because I really don't know all the cultural do's and don't's. My experience at the hairdresser, well, the color of my hair is interesting, to say the least.
I was able to watch the inauguration here and was so excited. I had pangs of homesickness and wanted to be part of the celebration. Everyone watched it here too and is happy with Obama. They hope he can bring some change. I have been reading online some of the things he has done already and it is a breath of fresh air. I can't get anything [in print] in English here, for that you have to go to Jerusalem.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.